Skip to content

It is important to us that you are able to fully participate in the review and present your case.

Our processes are informal and user-friendly. You can deal with us directly with little or no assistance if you wish. 

However, we understand that you may need or want assistance with your review, or other kinds of support.  

Can I represent myself?

Yes. You can deal directly with us (represent yourself) or ask someone to help and represent you.

If you have any questions about the review process, you can ask us. 

If representing yourself in an expedited review, we will call you within 1 week after we receive the application to explain the AAT review process and ask whether you need additional assistance, such as an interpreter. In other applications, we will usually call you within 6 weeks to explain what will happen next.

We might also suggest that you seek assistance in presenting your case.

Can I ask someone to represent me?

Yes. You can arrange for a lawyer, a migration agent or another professional person to represent you. A representative could also be a family member or friend.

If you want legal advice or someone to represent you, it is best to organise this as soon as possible.

We cannot pay for any costs of a lawyer or professional person to represent you.

A representative can:

  • receive all documents relating to the review on your behalf
  • communicate with us on your behalf
  • give us written evidence and written submissions on your behalf, and
  • attend conferences and the hearing.

To appoint a representative, you must provide us with their details.

If you have already lodged the application for review and wish to appoint a new representative, you should provide us their details in writing.

You must tell us immediately if there are any changes to your representative’s details.

Where can I find help with my review?

We can help you understand the review process but we cannot give you advice about your case.

There are professional people (for example, registered migration agents) and other organisations that can help you with your review.   

We cannot pay for someone to assist you. We cannot recommend a particular individual or organisation to help you. 

Can I have an interpreter?

Yes. If you need an interpreter, please let us know. We will arrange for a qualified interpreter to assist, free of charge.

For immediate assistance in your language, please contact TIS on 131 450.

Can I have assistance because of a disability?

Yes. If you need assistance because of a disability, please contact us as soon as possible. We will try and make arrangements to help.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service.

Where can I find other types of support?

You, your family or friends may need other types of support.

Help for migrants and refugees

  • Refugee Council of Australia - helps migrants and refugees find the services they need, including migrant resource centres. Phone: (02) 9211 9333
  • Migrant resource centres - provide a range of services (for example, housing, advocacy, health, employment) to refugees and migrants. Contact the Telstra Directory Assistance on 1223, or contact the Refugee Council of Australia (02 9211 9333) and ask for the contact details of your closest migration resource centre.  
  • Australian Red Cross - provides help and support for refugees, people seeking asylum, people in immigration detention and other migrants in Australia. Phone: 1800 733 276

Crisis and mental health support

The organisations listed below provide help to people in need.

  • Lifeline – provides 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Ph: 13 11 14
  • 1800 RESPECT – provides 24 hour support to people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse. Ph: 1800 737 732

Didn’t find the right support for you? Please refer to further information about mental health services.

Can I get help with costs?

The Attorney-General's Department might be able to help with some of the costs of preparing for the review.

Find more information about receiving financial assistance by checking the Attorney-General's Department fact sheets: