Skip to content

It is important to us that you are able to fully participate in the review and present your case.

Our processes are informal and user-friendly. You can deal with us directly with little or no assistance if you wish. 

However, we understand that you may need or want assistance with your review, or other kinds of support.  

Can I represent myself?

Yes. You can deal directly with us (represent yourself) or ask someone to help and represent you.

If you have any questions about the review process, you can ask us. 

Can I ask someone to represent me?

You must ask us for permission in writing if you want someone to represent you such as:

  • a lawyer or other professional person
  • your spouse or partner; or
  • a friend or relative.

In deciding whether someone can be a representative we must take into account the wishes of the parties and the need to protect their privacy. We will give a copy of your request to the other party and ask them to tell us if they have any objections.

If you want legal advice or someone to represent you, it is best to organise this as soon as possible.

We cannot pay for any costs of a lawyer or professional person to represent you.

If we decide that someone can be your representative, they can:

  • communicate with us on your behalf
  • give us written evidence and written submissions on your behalf
  • attend the directions hearing and hearing.

We will usually send documents relating to the review directly to you. You can then give them to your representative. We will issue a non-disclosure order to any representative.

Look at the Child Support Review Directions for more information.

You must tell us immediately if there are any changes to your representative’s details.

Where can I find help with my review?

We can help you understand the review process but we cannot give you advice about your case.

There are professional people (for example, lawyers) and other organisations that can help you with your review and these are listed by state and territory below.   

We cannot pay for someone to assist you. We cannot recommend a particular individual or organisation to help you

Can I have an interpreter?

Yes. If you need an interpreter, please let us know. We will arrange for a qualified interpreter to assist, free of charge.

For immediate assistance in your language, please contact TIS on 131 450.

Can I have assistance because of a disability?

Yes. If you need assistance because of a disability, please contact us as soon as possible. We will try and make arrangements to help.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service.

Where can I find other types of support?

You, your family or friends may need other types of support. The organisations listed below provide help to people in need.

  • Lifeline – provides 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Ph: 13 11 14
  • 1800 RESPECT – provides 24 hour support to people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse. Ph: 1800 737 732
  • Salvation Army – provides a range of services to people experiencing financial or other kinds of hardship including homelessness. Ph: 13 72 58  
  • National Debt Helpline – provides free financial counselling. Ph: 1800 007 007
  • Australian Red Cross – provides a range of support including community services for older people, the homeless, and mental health support. Ph: 1800 733 276
  • St Vincent de Paul Society – assists people experiencing poverty and inequality. Ph: 13 18 12

Didn’t find the right support for you? Try searching Mission Australia’s nationwide service directory, or refer to further information about mental health services.