Skip to content

If you don’t agree with a decision that's been made by a Commonwealth Government department or other organisation there may be something you can do about it.

You can apply to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

Or AAT for short.

What does the AAT do?

The AAT can review a decision that you don’t agree with.

Review means taking another look at your case then deciding if the department’s decision can be changed.

The AAT can review decisions only where the law says it can.

Is the AAT independent when reviewing your case?


Sometimes they agree with the department’s decision.

Sometimes they agree with you.

If they agree with you the AAT can change the decision.

What kind of decisions does the AAT review?

The AAT reviews decisions about child support payments, family assistance and social security, tax, visas, Veterans' payments, the NDIS and many more.

You can find the full list on their website.

So how do you get a review?

Well first, you have to apply to the AAT.

You can apply online, by email, fax or post, or sometimes on the phone.

If you have any questions about how to apply call the AAT on 1800 228 333.

What if you have a disability?

You may need a support person to help you with the application.

If you have a disability it is a good idea to tell the AAT when you apply.

You can contact them to find out what assistance they can give you.

The AAT treats everyone with respect and care.

What happens after you apply?

When the AAT gets your application, they will contact the department and ask them to send a copy of your case file.

The AAT will read your application to understand why you think the department’s decision is wrong.

Sometimes the AAT will ask you for more information.

Sometimes they will contact you to talk about your case.

Sometimes they invite you to a hearing.

What is a hearing?

A hearing is where the AAT can ask you questions and listen to your side of the story.

This can be in a hearing room at their office or on the phone or by video link.

What happens on the day of the hearing?

If you need support you can bring a family member or friend.

If you want someone to represent you, you can bring a lawyer or disability advocate or a migration agent.

But the idea is to speak for yourself.

In many cases, your representative can support you but will only be able to speak for you if the AAT gives their permission.

Sometimes the hearing is open to the public.

Sometimes it will be private.

What if you need an interpreter?

You should ask for an interpreter as the AAT can provide one at no cost to you.

When will you know about the AAT decision?

The AAT might tell you their decision on the day of the hearing or they may write to you later.

Remember… sometimes the AAT will agree with the department’s decision, sometimes they will agree with you.

If they agree with you the AAT can change the decision.

If you have any questions you can phone the AAT.

The AAT can answer your questions and talk with you about getting disability support if you need it.

For more information go to or phone 1800 228 333.