The Guide to Refugee Law in Australia contains an analysis of the legal issues relevant to the assessment of protection visas, focusing particularly on the determination of refugee status and complementary protection in Australia. It was first developed in 1996 and is maintained by the Legal Services Section of the Migration and Refugee Division as a reference tool for members and staff. The guide is regularly updated to reflect developments in the law.
We welcome any comments regarding the guide.
Disclaimer: This guide was prepared by the Legal Services Section of the Migration and Refugee Division, for use by members and staff. It is provided for general information only. It is not intended as a legal textbook or a substitute for advice and should not be treated as such. No warranty is given in relation to the accuracy, currency or completeness of the Guide. The Australian Government, its employees, officers or agents accept no responsibility for any loss or damage, whether direct or indirect, arising from use of, or reliance on, material or opinions contained in the Guide. The material in this Guide may include the views of third parties, but does not necessarily reflect the views of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) or the Australian Government.
- Contents [PDF, 259KB]
- Introduction [PDF, 151KB]
- Chapter 1: Protection visas [PDF, 545KB]
- Chapter 2: Country of reference [PDF, 539KB]
- Chapter 3: Well-founded fear [PDF, 595KB]
- Chapter 4: Persecution [PDF, 381KB]
- Chapter 5: Refugee grounds and nexus [PDF, 767KB]
- Chapter 6: Relocation [PDF, 423KB]
- Chapter 7: Exclusion and cessation [PDF, 862KB]
- Chapter 8: State protection [PDF, 506KB]
- Chapter 9: Third country protection [PDF, 454KB]
- Chapter 10: Complementary protection [PDF, 575KB]
- Chapter 11: Application of Refugees Convention in particular situations [PDF, 661KB]
- Chapter 12: Merits review of protection visa decisions [PDF, 293KB]