Skip to content

Is there a time limit for applying?

Yes. You must lodge an application within 28 days after you receive the decision of the Child Support Registrar.

What can I do if the time limit has expired?

You can ask us to extend the time to lodge your application. You must apply in writing and include reasons why the application is late. You can do this:

Check our contact details to lodge the application at one of our registries, or send the application by post, email or fax. 

What happens after you apply for an extension of time?

We will send a copy of your extension application to the Department of Human Services. They have 14 days to tell us if they oppose the application.

If they do not oppose the application, we will generally make a decision without holding a hearing. If they oppose the application, we will usually hold a hearing before deciding the application. The hearing might be by telephone or in person at an AAT registry.

We will only start the review if we decide to extend the time limit.