Can I represent myself?

Yes. You can deal directly with us or ask someone to help you.

If you are representing yourself, we will usually call you within 6 weeks after we receive the application. We will explain the review process and ask you if need extra assistance, such as an interpreter.

We might also suggest that you seek assistance in relation to your case.

If you have any questions about the review process you can ask us.

Can I ask someone to represent me?

You can arrange for a lawyer or another professional person to represent you. A representative could also be a family member or friend.

We cannot pay for any costs of a lawyer or professional person to represent you.

A representative can:

  • receive all documents relating to the review on your behalf
  • communicate with us on your behalf
  • give us written evidence and written submissions on your behalf
  • attend conferences and the hearing.

Can I have an interpreter?

Yes. If you need an interpreter, please let us know. We will arrange for a qualified interpreter, free of charge.

For immediate assistance in your language, you can also call 131 450.

Accessibility assistance

If you require assistance because of a disability please contact us as soon as possible. We will try and make arrangements to help. 

Where can I find help with my review?

We can help you understand the review process but we cannot give you advice about  your case.

There are professional people (for example, lawyers) and other organisations that can help you with your review. These are listed by state and territory below.   

We cannot pay for someone to assist you. We cannot recommend a particular individual or organisation to help you.

Help with costs

The Attorney-General's Department might be able to help with some of the costs of preparing for the review.

You can find more information about receiving financial assistance by reading their fact sheet: