We use the ReadSpeaker service on our website. ReadSpeaker allows website text to be read out loud to you. It will help you if you have trouble reading text online. You don't have to download anything for ReadSpeaker to work.
How does it work?
How to listen to the main content of a page
Simply click the Listen button. An audio player appears and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text of the page out loud.
The player's buttons allow you to:
- pause and restart the reading
- stop the reading
- use the progress bar to navigate in the audio
- adjust the volume
- adjust settings such as reading speed
- download the audio file
- close the player.
You can use tab/shift+tab to navigate the player and press enter to activate a certain button or link.
How to listen to selected text
You can select a part of the text that you want to listen to and then press the pop-up Listen button that appears next to the mouse pointer. An audio player appears and ReadSpeaker starts reading the text you have selected.
How to adjust settings
In the settings menu, you can:
- choose whether you want to have the text highlighted while read
- choose whether you want the text highlighted on a word and sentence basis, sentence only, or word only
- choose style and colours for the highlighting
- choose whether you want the reading speed to be slow, medium, or fast
- choose whether you want the page to scroll automatically to follow the highlighted text
- choose whether you want the pop-up Listen button to be shown when text is selected.
For more information visit the ReadSpeaker website.
If you experience any difficulties using ReadSpeaker, please contact the Principal Registry, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.