The AAT can review some, but not all, decisions about visas made under the Migration Act 1958 by the Department of Home Affairs, the Minister for Home Affairs or the Minister for Immigration.
This part of our website contains information about the review of visa and visa-related decisions except for:
- decisions about protection (refugee) visas, and
- character-related visa decisions.
These reviews are done in the Migration and Refugee Division of the AAT under Part 5 of the Migration Act.
This part of our website contains information about the review of decisions to refuse or cancel a protection visa except for character-related decisions about protection visas.
These reviews are done in the Migration and Refugee Division of the AAT under Part 7 of the Migration Act..
Character related visa decisions
This part of our website contains information about character related visa decisions:
- to refuse or cancel any type of visa, including protection visas on character test grounds under section 501
- to not revoke the mandatory cancellation of your visa on character test grounds under section 501CA
- to refuse a protection visa on character grounds under sections 5H(2), 36(1C), or 36(2C).
These reviews are done in the General Division of the AAT.
Use our help tool to find the right information about the type of decision you want reviewed.