Can I represent myself?

Yes. You can deal directly with us or ask someone to help you.

If representing yourself, we will usually call you within 6 weeks after we receive the application to explain the review process and ask whether you need additional assistance, such as an interpreter.

We might also suggest that you seek assistance in relation to your case. 

Can I ask someone to represent me?

Yes. You can arrange for a lawyer or another professional person to represent you. A representative could also be a family member or friend.

We cannot pay for any costs of a lawyer or professional person to represent you.

A representative can:

  • receive all documents relating to the review on your behalf
  • communicate with us on your behalf
  • give us written evidence and written submissions on your behalf
  • attend conferences and the hearing.

Can I have an interpreter?

Yes. If you need an interpreter, please let us know. We will arrange for a qualified interpreter to assist, free of charge.

For immediate assistance in your language, you can also call 131 450.

Accessibility assistance

If you require assistance because of a disability please contact us as soon as possible. We will try and make arrangements to help. 

Where can I find more help?

You might be able to get help from an organisation such as a community legal centre, Legal Aid or another advocacy organisation. We can give you their contact details.

Help with costs

The Attorney-General's Department might be able to help with some of the costs of preparing for the review.

Find more information about receiving financial assistance by checking the Attorney-General's Department fact sheets: