You can send the AAT documents in a convenient and secure way online.
When can I use this service?
You can use this service to send us documents in any case that has already been lodged with the AAT.
If the case is in our Migration & Refugee Division and you lodged the application using the AAT’s online application form as a registered user, you should send us documents using that system. If you send us documents using this service, they will not be visible on your dashboard in that system.
You can use the service if you are a party to a review. You are a party if:
- you applied for the review, or
- we have written to tell you that you are a party to a review lodged by someone else.
Representatives can also use this service on behalf of a party to a review.
You can use the service to send us document or images.
Are there any documents that I cannot send using this service?
- If you are an agency or organisation that makes decisions we review, you cannot use this service to send us documents required under section 37 of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975 (T-documents). Please continue to send us these documents in hard copy. You can use the service to send us other type of documents.
- If you have received a summons to produce documents, you cannot use this service to send us those documents. You should send them to us in hard copy, or on a CD or USB flash drive.
How do I use the service?
We recommend having a letter or other document we have sent with you before you start. We need you to enter this information even if you are not the applicant so we can make sure we identify the right case.
To send us documents:
- enter the AAT case number and the name of the person who applied for the review (family name or organisation name).
- enter your name and email address and, if you want to, your mobile phone number so we can contact you about the documents if we need to
- we will send a secure code to your email address or mobile phone number as part of our authentication process
- after you have entered the secure code, you can upload your documents.
Once you have submitted your documents, we will send you an email to confirm we have received them and give you a reference number.
For an overview about how to use the service, you can watch our video.
Are there any document or size limits?
There is no limit on the number of documents you can send us. However, we do not accept single documents larger than 10MB. The maximum size for all documents is 50MB.
What type of files can I upload?
- Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx)
- Microsoft Rich Text (.rtf)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx)
- GIF, JPEG and PNG image files (.gif, .jpg, .png)
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
We do not accept zipped or archive files.
If you are sending us a PDF file, we prefer if it is a searchable PDF document.
How do I send a document that comprises a number of different parts?
If you have a document which is made up of different parts (e.g. an affidavit with attachments), you can either:
- combine the parts into a single document before you upload it using the service, or
- upload each of the parts as a separate document.
When you upload a document, there is a field for you to add a description of the document. You can use this field to give us information about what is included in a single document or how multiple documents you are uploading relate to each other.
If I send you documents online, do I still need to send you a hard copy?
No. If you send us documents using this service, you do not need to send them again by email or hard copy unless we ask you to.
Is the service secure?
Yes, this is a secure service that makes sure the documents are delivered directly to the AAT.
We will send you an email and give you a reference number each time you use the service to confirm that the documents have been received.
The case number doesn’t work. What should I do?
Check that the case number that you have entered is the same as the number on any letters from the AAT. If you have just lodged an application online, you will need to wait for a case number from us before you can use the service.
I don’t have an email address or mobile number. Can I still upload documents?
We need an email address or mobile number to send you a secure code for the authentication process. This helps us verify that the contact information you have given us is correct.
If you do not have an email address or mobile number you can use or would prefer not to give us these details, please contact us to ask about other ways to send us the documents.
The type of document I am uploading is not displayed on the ‘Document type’ list. What should I choose?
If you are sending us a document type that is not in the list, please choose ‘Other’.
If you need any help with sending us documents online using this service, please contact us.