For information about making an application for review on behalf of someone else, see the Representation page.
Making an application online
You can make an application online for a first review of a Centrelink or child support decision. Visit the Apply online page of this website for more information and to submit an application.
Completing an application for review form
You can download application forms from the Forms page of this website. Application forms are also available from AAT registries.
Fill in the form and check that all required information has been provided. The completed form can be:
- posted to us (GPO Box 9955 in your capital city),
- taken to an AAT registry,
- emailed or faxed to us.
Applying by telephone or in person
Call us on 1800 228 333 or visit an AAT registry. You must be able to tell us:
- your name and residential address,
- your postal address (if different from the residential address),
- the telephone number you can be contacted on during business hours,
- a brief description of the decision you would like us to review, and
- the date of the decision.
Applying from outside Australia
You can make an application for a first review of a Centrelink or child support decision from outside Australia by:
- emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- calling us on reverse charges +61 3 62 112 800 (the AAT's 1800 number does not work from outside Australia), or
- filling out an application form and posting it to us at GPO Box 9955 in any Australian capital city. The application form can be downloaded from the Forms page of this website.
Paid parental leave scheme – employer reviews only
If you are an employer seeking a first review of a reviewable employer decision under the paid parental leave scheme, you must make an application in writing. The application form can be downloaded from the Forms page on this website.
To make an employer application, fill in the form and:
- post it to us (GPO Box 9955 in your capital city),
- take it to an AAT registry, or
- fax or email it to us.
The law requires that an employer application must:
- be in writing,
- specify the condition or conditions that the employer believes are not satisfied,
- be accompanied by a statutory declaration verifying the application, and
- be made to the AAT within 14 days of the day on which the Authorised Review Officer or Subject Matter Expert made their decision.
Is there an application fee?
There is no cost to make an application for a first review in the Social Services and Child Support (SSCS) Division. There is also no penalty or fee if an application is withdrawn.
It is important to note that an order for costs cannot be made in the SSCS Division of the AAT.
If the review is about a Centrelink decision, we may pay reasonable public transport travel expenses for an applicant or other party to attend the hearing. We will not pay travel expenses for a representative or support person to attend the hearing.