An application fee of A$1,764 is payable in all cases, except when applying for review of a bridging visa decision (including any related decision to require a security bond) that resulted in a person being placed in immigration detention.
How to make a payment
Payment can be made by:
- credit card (Visa or MasterCard only)
- cheque (should be crossed and made payable to 'Administrative Appeals Tribunal')
- money order.
Please note: Payment is not considered to have been made if a cheque is dishonored or a credit card payment is not approved.
The fee may be reduced by 50% if we are satisfied that payment of the fee has caused, or is likely to cause, severe financial hardship to the review applicant.
To request a fee reduction, you should lodge form Request for fee reduction with supporting evidence attached.
The application fee (either the full or reduced amount) must be paid and a fee reduction application lodged before the deadline for lodging the application for review.
Refunds for a favorable decision, invalid application, or withdrawal of the application
We will refund 50% of the full application fee if you receive a favorable decision on any case. If we decide that an application is invalid, the entire fee paid will be refunded.
For withdrawn applications, the application fee can only be refunded in the following circumstances:
- The death of the review or visa applicant or a member of the visa applicant’s family unit.
- In relation to the review of a visa refusal decision, the visa applicant has been granted a visa of the same class (other than because of a reconsideration of the points score).
- In relation to a parent visa, the visa applicant has applied for another parent visa and wants a decision on the other parent visa.
If a refund is to be made payable to a third party, the review applicant must provide written authorisation to us.
If applicable, the refund is generally made within four weeks of the notification of the decision. If a refund has not been received within four weeks, you should contact us.
Review of refugee decisions
No fee is payable at the time of lodging the application, however, if the application for review is not successful then the full fee of A$1,764 will be payable.
If you are liable to pay the fee, the Tribunal will send you an invoice. You are required to pay the fee within 7 days of receiving this invoice.
If you have any questions about the fee, after you have received the invoice, you should contact the Tribunal using the details provided in the invoice.